Friday, September 11, 2009

A Litle Bit of This, A Little Bit of That

At first, today's supplement suggestion won't seem like an aid for weight loss as much as just a good idea. After all, those of us trying to loose weight tend to modify our diet. Almost by definition, we intentionally under nourish our bodies in order to lose weight. So, taking a multi-vitamin just seems like a good idea, if for no other reason than to replace some of the vitamins and minerals we have cut out of our diet when we cut calories. And it is a good idea, but it actually has weight loss benefits as well.

A study conducted over the course of 10 years with more than 15,000 participants found that participants taking multivitamins overall had more weight lost than those not taking it. To me, this simply means a healthy body is more capable of losing weight than a less healthy one. Not really all that surprising is it?

Of course, I like supplements that have more than one advantage. Other benefits of multi-vitamins include: aid in digestion, give energy (burn more fat!), help brain function, increase immune resistance, and slows the signs of aging (if I didn't have your attention before, I bet I do now!).

Don't take a “megadose” you don't need it and too much can cause problems...like kidney stones. So read the label - you want 100% or less of most of the ingredients. Also keep in mind, if you are using other dietary aids like protein bars during the day, a lot of them have vitamins as well. On an average day, I probably approach 200-300% of daily recommended allowance and I've never had a bad side effect.

Also, if this is the only source of added vitamins in your diet (no other dietary aids with vitamins) don't take a tablet. They are harder for your body to break down. Take gel caps or liquids instead.

Now – I think my multivitamin is kicking in... I feel like a bike ride. Let's go!

Keep at it – you can do this! And let me hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment